Four-year B.S.N. undergraduate students typically apply for admission with the Nursing Department at the end of their freshman year and enter the B.S.N. program their sophomore year.
B.S.N. Admission Requirements
- Acceptance into ASU.
- Official transcripts (unopened) from all other institutions attended other than ASU (request these to be sent directly to the nursing department).
- Proof of enrollment in prerequisite courses for the fall semester prior to acceptance or letter of intent of courses to be finished. Official transcripts must be sent after completion of the courses if taken somewhere other than ASU.
- Recommended 3.0 GPA required after completion of all general education courses and nursing pre-requisites. Acceptance is conditional on all prerequisite grades being finished the semester before admittance.
- Minimum grade of C in all biology, chemistry, PSYC 211 and MATH 111 courses.
- Successful completion of technical proficiency test or course (CSCI 100 or BUS 120).
- Proof of having successfully completed a certified nursing assistant course or NURS 179C: Basic Nursing Skills.
- A 500-word autobiographical essay
- A resume.
- Two letters of recommendation. One from a professor and one from someone in an authoritative position, e.g. an employer or coach. Letters from relatives are not acceptable.
- Background check including drug screening and finger printing. Background checks must be through the company used by ASU.
- Finalists may be contacted for an interview as part of the selection process.
- A non-refundable application fee to the nursing program for application.
Submit application materials to ASU Nursing Department, Suite 2250, 208 Edgemont Blvd., Alamosa, CO 81101.
The following need to be completed by the first week of courses of the junior year to allow participation in clinical settings. See clinical requirements section of handbook for more information. Submit documentation to ASU Nursing Department, Suite 2250, 208 Edgemont Blvd., Alamosa, CO 81101.
- Current physical exam
- Documentation of updated immunizations
- Current American Heart Association CPR certification
- Proof of malpractice insurance
Deadlines for application
Complete application packets are due by August 1 prior to the sophomore year. Finalists may be contacted for an interview as part of the selection process. Students will receive notification of admission status by November 1 of sophomore year. Late applications will be considered only on a space available basis. Admission materials and guidelines are available at nursing.adams.edu.